Terms & Conditions
Please read our terms & conditions
1) Driving Licence
- Clients MUST personally ensure that they are the holders of a valid, current driving licence – which must be produced at the first lesson and will be regularly checked by their driving instructor. The picture on photo card licences expire after ten years, your photo card licence must be up to date.
- Clients MUST inform their instructor if they receive any endorsements on their licence during the time they are receiving tuition. Including any short period disqualifications (SPD).
- Clients MUST inform their instructor of any special needs or medical conditions they have that might affect their ability to drive.
2) Client Wellbeing
- In the interest of comfort and safety, clients are advised to wear suitable footwear and comfortable clothing which does not restrict movement, please ask their instructor for any advice you may require.
3) Tuition Fees
- Tuition fees are as stated in the fees section of these terms of conditions and may be payable in advance. All accounts must be cleared before taking the official practical driving test.
4) Postponement of a Lesson by the Driving School/Driving Instructor
- If by reason of a vehicle failure or other emergency a lesson has to be postponed at short notice, an alternative appointment will be made with mutual consent. If the postponement is a driving test, then Progress Driving School will be responsible for the test fee if it cannot be cancelled within the required time (see paragraph 7), regardless of the client’s continuation of lessons with their instructor. Clients will appreciate that it may not always be possible to notify cancellation if a breakdown occurs on the way to a lesson.
- Driving tests take priority over lessons, therefore, pre-booked lessons may have to be cancelled or postponed if the school/instructor receives short notice of a driving test appointment.
5) Postponement or Cancellation of Lessons by Clients
- A minimum of 48 hours’ notice of postponement or cancellation of a lesson is required. Late cancellations will be charged for at the same cost of a lesson.
- Notice to Progress Driving School of your cancellation can either be in writing, by telephone, e-mail or by text, therefore, any of these methods shall be deemed to be acceptable ways of communication from you to their instructor.
6) Postponement or Cancellation of a Test (Theory or Practical)
- The attention of clients is drawn to the fact that a statutory period of notice is required under government regulations for the cancellation or postponement of a test.
- If possible, the client will be advised in good time of the advisability of cancelling their test. Progress Driving School cannot be responsible for the loss of the test fee if the client fails to immediately notify the test booking office. The address and telephone number is given on the test appointment document/email sent to you from the DVSA.
THE SCHOOL/INSTRUCTOR CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POSTPONEMENT OR CANCELLATION OF A TEST BY THE DVSA – AT WHATEVER NOTICE.
Clients should note that where lessons or tuition vehicle hire are cancelled at short notice, because of a cancellation by the testing authority, fees are still payable. It may be possible for clients to claim lost fees from the testing authority and your instructor will be able to advise you how to do this.
7) School/Instructor Guarantee
- Progress Driving School guarantee that only legally authorised instructors will give tuition.
- Instructors’ official authorising documents will be displayed on the windscreen of the car, and may be inspected freely at any time.
- Clients may be accompanied on their lesson by a senior examiner, whose job is to ensure that the tuition given meets the required standard. This is a legal requirement and is in the public interest.
- If an authorised trainee instructor is used, a client may expect a senior instructor present during some of the lessons.
8) The Driving Test
- Progress Driving School will advise the appropriate time to make an application for both the theory and practical driving tests. The advice will be based on the client’s progress to date. It does NOT imply that the necessary standard has been reached, or that it will for certain be reached by the appointed test date, the school/instructor will not hesitate to advise, where necessary, the postponement of the test. This condition is intended to save the client expense, unnecessary failure, and the consequent delay in waiting for another test and obtaining a full licence.
- Progress Driving School reserves the right to withhold the use of the training vehicle for the test or a lesson, if in the opinion of the instructor the client is:
- i) Not at driving test pass standard.
- ii) Medically unfit (including eyesight).
iii) Under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- iv) Is not properly licensed to drive.
- v) Consistently fails to keep, or is late for appointments.
- vi) Falls into arrears over payment.
vii) If, for any other reason, the instructor considers the client will be unsafe to handle a motor vehicle.
- Clients may be accompanied on their test by a senior examiner, whose job is to ensure that official standards of testing are observed by examiners. This is a legal requirement and is in the public interest.
- You are reminded that when you attend for your theory or practical test, you MUST take the required documents with you; your instructor will advise you. Failure to comply with this regulation may result in your test being cancelled; you will forfeit your test fee and have to apply for a new test date and pay the fee again.
- In the event of the test appointment being sent to the client, they are required to notify their instructor as soon as possible, of the date and time of the test and show the confirmation to their instructor on their next lesson. Progress Driving School cannot accept any responsibility for booking an incorrect time or date for a test unless the appointment confirmation is produced.
- Clients should notify their instructor immediately if the DVSA contact them to alter the date or time of a practical test, if the client fails to do this, then Progress Driving School shall have no liability for any fees lost.
9) Lessons in Own Car
- Lessons may be given in a client’s own car if the instructor is willing to do so, on condition that it is clearly understood:
- i) The car is fully insured for teaching for reward – and this must be confirmed, in writing, by the vehicle underwriters.
- ii) Our instructor is covered by such insurance to drive the car – to be confirmed as above.
iii) Our instructor can in no way be held liable for any damage or accident. While we will make every effort to prevent the client having an accident, or damaging the car, it will be realised that their control is very limited. If clients wish to have lessons in their own car then a second rear view mirror must be provided for your instructor and the Examiner. In view of the extra responsibility entailed, there will normally be no reduction in lesson charges.
- All driving school cars provided by Progress Driving School are fully insured for tuition and driving tests,
- No liability of any kind can be accepted by Progress Driving School for the loss of, or damage to any property belonging to, or in the possession of the client.
11) Legal Liability
- Clients should be aware that their driving instructor’s primary objective is to promote road safety, and in doing so, they will have to issue instructions which clients must be prepared to carry out without undue argument.
- Our instructors will make every effort to train you to the highest standard but can in no way be held liable for any errors you commit whilst driving and not accompanied by your instructor either before or after a test pass.
- During an official driving test, the client is in charge of the vehicle and is liable for any fines or charges levied as a result of any motoring offence committed.
Important: In their own interest’s, clients are advised to be punctual for appointments. The instructor will wait 10 minutes. A reciprocal waiting time may become necessary for the arrival of the instructor who may be delayed due to some unforeseen circumstance. The lesson will commence from the appointed time or the time of the instructor’s arrival if that should be later.
Guaranteed Pass Scheme
Our guaranteed pass scheme is open and available to anyone that takes driving lessons with us. There is a criteria that safeguards your guaranteed pass and providing you meet the criteria and follow our guaranteed pass programme, then you will qualify for the scheme. If you fail your driving test, then we will pay for your driving test again and again for you for as many times as necessary up until you either pass your driving test or up until the guaranteed pass scheme expires (please see the criteria below).
The following criteria must be met to qualify for the guaranteed pass scheme:
- You must be a complete beginner and had no driving lessons before.
- You must complete a minimum of 8 hours of driving per month.
- You have to complete a minimum of 40 hours professional supervised driving with us.
- You must have passed at least one official mock test.
- You must not have cancelled more than two lessons back to back.
- If you fail a test, you must undergo a minimum of further 5 hours training and a mock test to rectify any faults scored on your test before you can re-take another test. Additional training hours may be needed if the instructor feels that you are not ready for the test or fail the mock test. If you book a test without the agreement of the instructor, then you will forfeit the terms of the guaranteed pass scheme.
- Where there is a gap between you completing the minimum 5 hrs and new test date, you must continue to undertake 8 hours of training per month, until the new test date.
Our guaranteed pass scheme lasts for a period of 6 months which is effective from the date of your first lesson. If you find yourself in a position whereby you’re still learning after 6 months, then the guaranteed pass scheme will cease to be in operation after this point and you will brought into alignment with our normal terms & conditions.
Please inform your instructor if you want to enter our guaranteed pass scheme.
Money Back Guarantee
There are very few driving schools that will offer the “Money back guarantee”. We offer this because we are a professional Driving School. We tailor each lesson to suit your individual needs to ensure you continue to learn on every lesson. If by the end of the lesson you are unsatisfied and feel like you haven’t learnt anything, then we will not charge you for that lesson.
Complaints will only be accepted at the end of a lesson, they will not be accepted once you have paid and left the vehicle. You will need to explain to the instructor why you do not wish to pay for this lesson.
The money back guarantee is per hour. If you have paid for a course of lessons, then you will only receive a refund for that lesson.
If we do not believe the reason you have given for not paying is valid, we reserve the right to discontinue your lessons. If this happens you will need to find a new instructor.
You cannot use the money back guarantee on your practical test day. Your lesson will be a refresher lesson to prepare you for your practical test therefore we will not be teaching you anything new.
You cannot use the money back guarantee on an assessment lesson as we will be assessing your driving skill in order to create a lesson plan tailored to suit your needs.
I have received a copy of Progress Driving School Terms and Conditions and agree, in partnership with them to be bound by the terms contained in them.
I want to take part in the guaranteed pass scheme: Yes No
I give permission for Progress Driving School to use my picture for social media i.e. Facebook